Thursday, January 23, 2014

Thrifty Thursday - bringing down the clothing costs


Oh shopping. I love thee. Unfortunately, I am often times more concerned about paying the bills so I don't get to shop for clothing as much as I'd like. Here are some little tidbits I can suggest for keeping below budget when you hit the stores. 

First things first. Stores are very smart and will put these gorgeous, glittery ensembles into their windows to draw you in. You want to look like that bald, faceless mannequin because he/she/it (who can tell?) is freaking sexy! 
I don't care that you're made of plastic. I want to be you.
Do yourselves a favor. Before you look at the brand new items that are hot off the...runway, or whatever, do what I do. Make a beeline to the clearance section. It is a world of splendor, and you can find so many deals it's ridiculous. I've managed to get brand new jeans for five dollars at Old Navy, and let me tell ya, I have big hips and thunder thighs so finding that kind of a steal is impressive. I bought those jeans over a year ago and still wear them frequently. I've managed to get a hundred dollar dress at Anthropologie for a mere $10. And all because it's a month or so old. Or maybe it's missing a button. Trust me on this, hit clearance first and see what magic awaits!
Where have you been hiding all my life, clearance section?
My second suggestion, I learned from my mother. And maybe you all did too. It's pretty simple. Stores will blast you with bold new colors, silks and sequins, patterns and purses, and our brains can sometimes go into a frenzy. You immediately want everything. This can lead to purchases of a questionable nature. Things like fashion chaps. Something that celebrities might be able to pull off, but once you escape the hypnosis of the store and return home, you realize that you are not someone who can pull it off. 
But it looked so good in the store! That tricky lighting...
When I was a teenager and would go shopping with my mom, she would ask me one simple but crucial question: "Will you wear it?" Seems simple, right? But just ponder for a minute longer before you get those yeti boots, if you will ever wear it, and if so, how often? Is it worth the price you're going to pay for it? This one question could save you hundreds of dollars and much needed closet space. 

Am I alone in the fact that I treat shopping as a mental challenge, and pride myself on finding the best deals? The less money spent, the more the reward, especially when you're complimented on it ("love your boots!" "Thanks, they were seven bucks. Har, har...."). Treat it like a game, and you'll always win! 


No comments:

Post a Comment