Friday, January 24, 2014

Happy Frugal Friday!

Huzzah! You've made it through another grueling week! Time to go out with friends, let loose, and party right??? Oh...wait...you're broke. Shit.

I've hit this point so many times, where I feel like if I don't go out and enjoy life I'm going to lose my damn mind. There are several ways you can do this on the cheap, I tell you. It is possible. Here are a few ways I keep my Friday nights fun but contained so that Saturday morning isn't filled with panic and regret after checking my account balance.
Who bought shots for the whole bar on my account?!? I did? Oh, no...
So! Friday night hits. The group texts begin. "Who wants to meet at *blah blah* restaurant for some food?" "I'm game!" "Sure, why not? 7ish?" "Alright, it's settled. 7ish at *blah blah*. Can't wait! See y'all there! XOXO, YOLO, Kthxbye." ...Okay, it doesn't really sound like that, I swear. But it's something similar. And just because you're tight on money, why shouldn't you see friends and join in the fun?

I live in New Orleans. The food here is amazing and there are always at least five restaurants that you haven't tried but should. And I'm a foodie so I flipping love eating out. So when I'm strapped for cash, I've figured out a few ways to not get a $30-$50 bill that will hinder me from grabbing a beer later. Yes, New Orleans Fridays are one long trip to lots of bars, and stamina and funds must be maintained if you wanna hang til the wee hours of the morning. Even if that's not your style, it's still nice to keep your bill low.

First piece of diner advice: if you're planning on going out later, hold off on cocktails at dinner. Yes, they are pretty, and frilly, and taste heavenly. But if it's not happy hour, they usually rack the bill up quick like. Most cocktails are around $7-$9, higher depending on where you're dining. For ten to twelve dollars you can get an entire bottle of wine to drink at home!
And no one will judge you for it, Maya!
It seems so simple, but I know from experience when everyone else is ordering a cocktail, it's a test of willpower to say, "I'll just have a water, thanks." Trust me, you'll thank yourself when the bills come around and everyone who enjoyed two delightful drinks groan at their check. Not to mention, when you're eating, you're not likely to get the benefits of alcohol, as the food will be sucking up all that glorious tipsiness. So why would you pay eight bucks for a juice equivalent? If that's the case, get a "mocktail", or a drink with no alcohol, and save a few bucks that way. 

Second piece of dinner advice: choose an appetizer as your meal. Yes, my frugal, penny pinching friends, appetizers at restaurants are your saving grace. A few weeks ago, I went to a burger joint with a group of friends. The burgers started at $11.99. To be fair, they were fancy burgers made of bison, elk, and with top of the line add ons, like sun dried tomatoes and goat cheese. And when they came out for my friends, they looked delicious.
I think I need to test that and make sure it hasn't been poisoned...because we live in King's Landing...
I wanted a delectable burger swathed in fancy toppings too! I restrained myself and selected the chili cheese fries appetizer instead. Not the best choice for my (non existent) diet, but at $6, I justified it to myself. And as expected, it was a HUGE order that was certainly sufficient as a meal. It was also house made chili, not the canned "meat...kinda" chili that keeps its cylindrical shape as it leaks out of its can (insert that awful and horrifying noise as the meat-like material exits its home onto a plate). It was delicious! And my total bill with dinner and a water was a whopping $6.54.

The main reason you can always opt for an appetizer (in New Orleans, anyway) is that we live in the American dreamland where bigger is better, and serving sizes have exploded to ridiculous proportions in the past few decades. If you live in another country, it may be a little riskier. But probably still workable.
Thank you, corporations...
MURICA! Where super size is now a small.

Heh. That needed two gifs...

Alright my thrifty friends, I'll have more outing tidbits next week, but I gotta spread em out so I can keep ya coming back. That's right, I even skimp with my tidbits :) Think I'll throw some low cost crafts and recipes in soon.

Have a great weekend!






No comments:

Post a Comment